Knit, purl, blog.

Monday, July 24, 2006

What a difference a week makes

Stella is done. I just need to steam some seams.

stelladone

It fits very well, and it's also really comfortable. The finishing seemed to never end: block, seam, pick up stitches for neckband, knit neckband, sew in zipper, finish seaming, attach buttons, make button loops, weave in ends, tack edges of zipper down.

This past weekend, I went to a dyeing party hosted by a member of the local SnB.

I dyed roving:

rovingdye

It's some Corriedale I had around. And I shall call the color "Innisfree":

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the mourning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.


I'm a big cornball at heart.


I also dyed silk hankies:

hankie2

hankie1


Next Up

Lace Blouson, Interweave Summer '04

hemp

It's hemp, and it has an earthy scratchiness to it. Very "Wild Swans."

"The Wild Swans" was apparently very influential to me in my childhood. My mother even saved the book:

swans1

Poor Elise. Not only did she have to crush and spin stinging nettles (and I complain about a little VM), but then she had to knit them into 12 tunics without any needles.

But even a spinning, knitting mute with bleeding fingers proves irresistible to the right person:

swans2

Is it still summer?

And because Teva Durham rocks my world, and I'm just that kind of crazy, and season be damned...

greensleeves

... Green Sleeves from "Wrap Style."